Thursday, February 7, 2013

Factory Cart Coffee Table.... Sort Of

While Bobby and I were on a roll of building our T.V. console, I presented Bobby with plans for a new coffee table.  Our old one had to go.  With a little man crawling and pulling up on things I decided our old table needed to go.  It wasn't baby-friendly at all. First off, it had very sharp corners and edges... and second, 2 of the legs were coming off.

So I presented plans to Bobby and since we already had tools out, I thought we could have it together in no time.  Bobby thought so too. (Especially, because, we learned a lot from our first project).

Our plans came from: Ana White's Website


The plans specifically stated this was a lower setting coffee table.  We were okay with that, but as we started piecing the table together, we realized this wasn't going to work for our style.  I wish I would have taken pictures of what ours looked like, but I didn't.  

Bobby and I didn't want to give up on our table though.  The wheels we originally bought had breaks on them, but weren't quite as big as we wanted to go.  We returned them for bigger ones, but they didn't have breaks.  We decided we needed a rug to help keep the table still, so I was more than happy to get one :)

Bobby wanted to add another layer of the sides to make it taller. He was able to add more wood underneath to make this table more solid.  

With the table heavier, and the new rug, we aren't worried about it moving now.



With our baby exploring more these days, Bobby sawed the corners off.  I then sanded them down, along with the edges.  



For the finish, I decided to keep it simple.  I brushed on a coat of Minwax's "dark walnut" and sealed it with polyurethane. 



Out of the 2 pieces of furniture we built, this one was Bobby's favorite.  I love both, but I must say, this is exactly what I wanted.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment