Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Husband and Wife Team: Building Furniture


Last week my husband, Bobby, had the week off of work.  Buddy also discovered all the DVDs on this little shelf we had our TV on.  I insisted this was something that had to be fixed. We needed something we drawers or cabinets.  I told Bobby about this website that had free plans and a step by step tutorial on how to build furniture.  This intrigued Bobby and he wanted me to show him.  The little homemaker I am had already picked out a couple different entertainment consoles I longed to build.  I showed Bobby one evening and we decided we had to get started on it the next day.  

We decided to use recycled wood for this, because, well it was free.  Since we reused wood, it was all different kinds... some were primed, and some we had to "rip" to size.  This didn't bother me much because I already knew I wanted to paint it.  

We had never built ANYTHING before.  So why did we have to choose something so hard as a "first" project? Well... because I have a tendancy of diving into things thinking I'd just figure it out.  Apparently, Bobby does too.  We had already bought all our materials and had everything cut when we discovered this:

We laughed and thought well we will figure it out... one board at a time.  Sure enough, we did.  Sometimes we would take 1 step forward only to turn around and take 2 steps backwards.  It was okay.  We loved every minute of it.  We were both learning something new together and we had a blast.  

I had some navy blue paint I found at the "miss tint" section at Lowe's for only $1.80! I decided to paint this color on 1st.  After painting, I skimmed over the wood, with my sander, in spots to give it the rugged look I wanted.  Then, I painted Minwax's "dark walnut" stain over the entire piece.  Afterwards, using an old rag, I wiped it all off.  The next day, I went back and brushed glossy polyurethane on to seal it.  



This project was everything I'd hoped it would be and then some.  Bobby and I usually always have fun together, but since having our little miracle baby we haven't always been able to enjoy the same things as we used to.  We love to hunt and fish, but as Buddy's mom, I haven't been able to do those things (yet). With this project, we were able to stay home and work on it together.  It was something new and exciting.  Using different power tools and figuring out how they all work was thrilling to us.  It brought us back together as a happily married couple :) Let me just say, there will be more projects like this from now on ;-)





No comments:

Post a Comment