Friday, March 22, 2013

New Birthing Center: A Labor of Love



Today has been a lazy day around my house.  It's cloudy and I think that may have had something to do with it.  We eventually got out to get some shopping done.  When we got home, I thought to myself, I've got to do something productive.... so I went up stairs to work on a dress I've been sewing for myself.  (Nothing fancy, just a summer dress).  I'm sure I will post about it later.  Afterwards, (or when Buddy Man got tired of being in the craft room) we came down stairs for dinner.

After dinner I decided to get on facebook to see what everyone is up to.  I saw my midwife had posted an article about her new birthing center.  I am super excited for her and seeing this dream of hers come true.  She is an amazing woman and deserves this.

I know many people don't agree with the way I choose to do things, but honestly if I could go back and relive my labor and delivery with my last baby, I would not do it any differently.  Delivering my son at an out of hospital birthing center was not only what I wanted, but I feel it's what God wanted for us too.  Not many people know this, but when I was 37 weeks pregnant with Buddy, I was admitted into Labor and Delivery at a hospital in Dallas for high blood pressure.

It wasn't an eventful day, but I kept seeing spots and my hands and feet were swelling.  No matter how much water I drank, or how much I relaxed, it wouldn't go down.  After a while, I checked my blood pressure and it was high.  (I don't remember the detail of how high).  I called my midwife and she said to go ahead and head to the hospital, there isn't anything she could do, it was already too high. She said she'd meet me there.

Once I got there, I was asked all these questions from several people, i.e., normal stats, past births, etc.  Monitoring the baby and all.  At one point, my nurse told me as a heads up that the staff was already talking about inducing me because of my history and just wanted to prepare me for what's to come.  I wasn't surprised by this and was actually already prepared to.  I didn't doubt my dreams or God for this. I just thought oh well, it is what it is.  My midwife even said, "all that matters is a healthy baby, and healthy mama." Everyone was mentally preparing to meet this baby.

A little while later I was the only one in the room just having some quite time. My blood pressure had gone down on it's own. The on call doctor came in to talk.  I assumed he was about to tell me I was going to have this baby sooner rather than later.  He asked if I had planned on having my baby at a birthing center.  I replied with a soft "yes." He then smiled and said, "well good luck! You are free to go home and have this baby when you are ready." My jaw dropped, this is so unheard of for a doctor to release a patient to have their baby out of a hospital.  I told him thank you, and then that was the last I saw of him.

My midwife and her assistant came in to be with me and I told them the news.  They couldn't believe it and jumped with excitement.  My family came in and they were all shocked too.

So we all went home.

My midwife told me later about how much peace she was given after the visit in the hospital.  Not that she or I needed it, but it was like we had approval from all that mattered.  My baby was going to be born in her care, at her birth center.

I never had any other blood pressure issues and as you know little Buddy came on his own at 40 weeks 5 days gestation.




So the article for my midwife's new birthing center....

http://rockwallheraldbanner.com/topnews/x765744126/New-birthing-center-a-labor-of-love


Please read it :) If you love history, you will love this story of renovation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment